Today was another day of making sure things get completed properly and on time. I am still working on the desk tchotchke project and had a conference call with a promotional item production specialist to see what specific things we can do with different plastic molds and plush toys. I now have to go over all the different options this weekend and see what I can design (3-dimensionally) that will fulfill the company's wants.
I also spent most of the day drawing out some sketches I created in Illustrator to send to the production specialist for a better visualization of what we were thinking in terms of the toy and other functional desk tchotchkes that could be handed out by the company's employees to their clients. I used some gradient mesh, which I didn't think I would really need again after the viscom I picture project. But it was a really good experience to try and figure out the best way we could design this desk tchotchke while making the dimensions cost effective. It's definitely still a work in progress, especially for me since this business related design puts more restrictions on where I could go due to the need for cost effectiveness.
Some other things I learned was about the font organizing software program called Suitcase, which I may be working with in the near future when I will have to sort out and organize TE&A's 30,000 fonts. And I was also introduced to some really impressive hand made, die cut 3D pop-ups manufactured by the president of TE&A's grandfather in the 70s. It was pretty amazing to go through some of the intricate pop-ups that were actually printed and put together for advertising design. I learned that this is something that isn;t typically done anymore because it takes a lot of time and money to print and assemble crafts such as those. Either way, I was really impressed and may try to make some of my own.